The institute holds an "active, pragmatic, forward-looking, and innovative" philosophy to respond to industrial policies and industry demands in the 21st century. It engages in the research of "industrial technology and application" and trains future industrial leaders.
The long term goals of the institute are as followed:
- Plan to change the name of the institute in 2006 base on the research directions.
- Continue to maintain its independent operation system.
- Propose the plan of establish under-graduate program in 2005 to the University by 2004.
- Invest in different kinds of equipment and establish teaching and training laboratories.
- Introduce new courses and invite guests such as specialists and scholars to present.
- Gradually increase the number of staff and consequently, the number of students according to the number of staff.
- Enhance the integration of courses and increase group learning opportunities
Based on varied industrial functions and activities, the institute will design a number of integrated courses and encourage instructors from different backgrounds and expertise to conduct group discussion, so the students opportunity to know and apply interdisciplinary theories and skills.
- Strengthen series of practical courses-
The institute provides integrated courses to respond to industrial policies and aspects of the industrial environment. Experienced professionals with specialized skills, expertise and experiences are invited to open practical courses. Students can broaden their view and deepen their experiences by participation in organized factory tours and internships.
- Cross department, university, institution and country cooperation-
- Work with departments of Electrical Engineering, Engineering Science, Mechanical Engineering, Aeronautics and Astronautics, Biotechnology, Information Science …etc.
- In line with university policies, the institute actively searches for cross university opportunities. For example, allowing course selection at departments of Electrical Engineering, Information Science and Mechanical Engineering at National Chung Cheng University and National Sun Yat-sen University.
- In line with university policies, the institute promotes and facilitates international collaborations and exchange programs with academic institutions around the world.
- Future research directions --
To cope with the needs of industry and technology trends, this institute will utilize the past research achievements in "Precision Automatic Equipment", "Manufacturing Automation", "Quality and Biomedical Systems Engineering", and "Enterprise Engineering and Integration", that incorporate interdisciplinary fields of information technology, systematic, management and manufacturing technology, to enhance the area of "e-Manufacturing". This institute nurtures experts and participates in research and development within these fields. Our aim is to become the first and only “international”, “digital”, “systematic” and “multi-integration” post-graduate institute.
The future research agenda is as follows:
- e-Manufacturing: Semiconductor Manufacturing Automation, Engineering and Enterprise Integration, Manufacturing Information Systems, Immediate Production and Operation Management, Remote Diagnosis and Maintenance, Industrial Electronics, Robotics, Manufacturing Systems Integration, Virtual Manufacturing, System Simulation, and Facilities Planning.
- Precision automatic equipment: Multi-axial system controller, precision manufacturing technology, micro-nano-electro mechanical system, linear motor machine tool, 5-axis machine tool, embedded SoC system, internet-based controller, CAD/CAM, advanced laser processing.
- Molecular medicine materials and quality engineering: Molecular medicine materials, bioinformatics, production management, quality and reliability engineering, micro-nano measurement.
- Establish related research center-
In line with the industrial policy of the government, this institute will establish research centers and laboratories with full-time PhD researchers, post-graduate researchers, and assistants to participate in research, development, education and training.
- Encourage cross department, university, institution and industry cooperation-
Work as a research team with other university and institute scholars and experts. Conduct university-industry projects to ensure research results can be applied and respond to the needs of the industry.
- Promote international collaborations and exchange programs-
This institute promotes and facilitates the collaborations and exchange programs with well known international universities and academic institutions.
Holding a philosophy of using academic achievement to serve the country, this institute works closely with domestic industry to promote industrial sector studies in order to solve problems effectively and provide firsthand methods and technologies to help Taiwan’s industry. The institute established "R&D and Promotion Center "to engage in educational training, technical services and the promotion of the research results.
This institute promotes internationalization by:
- Enhance student’s English standard.
- Invite oversea scholars and experts to present in Taiwan.
- Encourage collaboration with well known foreign institutes.
- Appoint specialized scholars and experts to present talks and engage in research projects.
- Providing a place for international students to pursue degrees.
- Organize oversea training and academic programs for professors and students.
- Organize international conferences and promote institute’s and university’s image.
- Encourage professors to open English courses.
- Encourage professors and students to participate in international conferences.
This institute enhances administrative efficiency by:
- Conduct an institute performance evaluation every two years to review various functions and to identify aspects that needs to make adjustment/improvement.
- Update the institute’s website regularly. Ensure professors’ latest research results and profiles, latest news and announcements are updated on the website so the public has a better understanding of the institute.
- Cooperate with school’s computer-based administration policy. Encourage administrative staff to engage in relevant administrative training courses to enhance work productivity.
- Cooperate with school’s “employee motivation program.” Nominate staff with outstanding performance for awards. Aim to increase the morale of administrative staffs.
- Utilize internet (such as e-mails) to communicate with staff, professors, and students, in order to reduce waste of resources and enhance administrative efficiency.
- Cooperate with the relocation of the Precision Instrument Building project, properly plan and build up the teaching and laboratory facilities. (NT$ 2 million)
- Strengthen the facilities of research laboratories:
- Industrial Electronic Laboratory: Hardware equipment costs NT$ 500,000, software facilities costs NT$ 500,000, total requires 1 million/year. (Budget from National Science Council and other research projects)
- Automation Laboratory: Requires 5 million/year. (Total budget from one National Science Council project and one integral project)
- Molecular Medicine Materials and Quality Engineering Laboratory: Requires 1 million/year. (Total budget from National Science Council and other research programs)
- CAD / CAM Laboratory: 1.5 million/year. (Budget from National Science Council and other research projects)
- Manufacturing Management Laboratory: NT$500,000/year. (Total budget of individual research projects)
- Plan and establish audio-visual teaching classroom (1.8 million).
In order to establish under-graduate department, the next four years need to achieve following requirements:
- Staff (professor) requirements: In the first two years, the institute needs to hire one additional professor each year, and by the third year, when the department is established, it should hire three more. Including the original five professors, there will be 10 professors in total.
- Space requirements: When the department is established in the third year, a group of 50 students (from first to fourth years) will be enrolled in the study program. According to the calculation of the institute of industrial study, each student requires a space of 20 square meters, which means in the future the institute requires additional space of 4080 square meters. (Every year PhD students increase by 1person, four years, by 4 people. Under-graduate students are estimate to increase 50 people per year, with four years up to 200 people. Therefore, in the fourth year, there will be a total of 204 people in the institute. 204people*20square meters=4080square meters.)
- Equipment and facilities requirements: When the department is established in the third year, the institute will increase its facilities such as books, periodic journals, software and other equipments. (Estimated cost of 3 million/year).
- Set up computer classrooms: Require 3 million in the first year of establishment.
- Establish laboratories for practical experiment and learning purpose: Require total 3 million for hardware and facilities such as CAD TOOL, CAM TOOL LOGIC ANALYZER, SCOPE…etc. These will be set up in the second year of establishment.